Check out www.TheCarolinaRider.com

where you can find Photo Galleries - Calender of Events - Carolina Beauties Photos - Articles

You are receiving this e-mail because you have indicated you want to be on this list.

In This Issue:

Words from our Sponsors

Lil' Weather

Bike Wash Girlzz at QS&L

Free Thinking with FancyFree

artsy-fartsy

Loose Talk with Jon

 

Look for much more at www.thecarolinarider.com

 

 

 

The Little Weather Quickie for the Week of May 16-23, 2011

Monday 69 scat.t-storms, Tuesday 64 rain/thunder, Wednesday 70 showers, Thursday 76 p-cloudy, Friday 84 m-sunny, Saturday 85 m-sunny, Sunday 89 iso.t-storms, Monday 89 iso.t-storms (as per www.intellicast.com on Monday 5/16/11)

 

Bike Wash Girlzzz

Every Wednesday at The Lube!

This year with a new twist: every month they'll have a bikini contest and this year they will have 2 beautiful bike washers at The Lube.

Come meet the QS&L Bike Wash Gals and get your bike cleaned up at the same time!

 

 

Oh "deer" .....

Our friend Jayson shared this story today ... can't quite come up with any other words but his own .. "oh no!"

 

A Bad Way to end a Good Day Out

So yesterday I took the Harley out around noon, headed up to Lake Lure and Chimney Rock.  Grabbed lunch, walked around, just a much needed day out to myself.  Got a little more riding in, fueled up, and pointed it back home.  Put up right at 300 miles.  Stopped at carowinds, got a red bull and took a bathroom break.

Threw the gps, phone, etc all in the saddlebag and headed towards the house.  Got on 485, it was about 8:30 or so, set the cruise at 70 mph and was just cruising in the left lane.  Perfect night.

Was at the "Matthews 2 miles ahead sign" ... the exit I was getting off on ... In a fraction of a second I just saw this image of a deer in my brain ... I just instinctually covered the clutch and brake, which disengaged the cruise and removed power from the bike, and braced up for impact.  Only words I uttered (believe it or not) was "Oh No" ... I hit him head on broad side.  Probably about a 75-100 lb young buck.  He impacted the front, and his body turned and went down the right side of the bike.  Bent the crash bar completely around the frame and motor, and pinned into my ankle, the force broke the bolt and steel mount that holds the floorboard on the frame.  He then shattered the saddlebag on that side.  Of course this is the saddlebag loaded with everything, the other was empty.  Saddlebag and stuff scatters on 485.  Impact was so hard that (and I locked in so tight) that the seat actually broke free from the front mounting point under the tank, raised and shifted to the right.

The bike then went into a fairly severe wobble, that somehow (I was very motivated at this moment) I fought and was able to control.  I coasted it out about 100-150 yds from point of impact onto the shoulder.  Got the bike in neutral, got off and walked it down into the grass median. 

Then, it takes a moment to realize what has just happened.  I also realize I have no phone, its somewhere down the road.  And get this ... no one stopped.  Not a soul.  I start waving my arms in the air, distress signal style.  Finally after what had to have been 3-5 minutes, I had walked the whole scene up and down by now while waving, a young lady and her daughter stopped and called 911 for me and waited with me till they arrived.

My wife Laura is in Illinois still with her sister, so I had to call her from this girls phone, Laura doesn't answer.  I leave a very reassuring msg that I am ok, but let her know what happened.  She calls back a few minutes later obviously pretty freaked out and in disbelief.  She was able to get in touch with Kirk, and he and Cameron came up to assist.  (Thank goodness for good friends)  We actually found my phone, and it survived the incident, skidded across 485 and came to rest right on the shoulder, and still worked!  Found a few other things, none of which had the same fortune as the phone.  No one who wound up on site, the woman, her husband who pulled up a few minutes later (he had been following but was behind, arrived and thought she had hit me), and the trooper could believe I had been able to keep the bike up after that level of impact. 

The bike did not fair well, but I have to say the damn thing is built like a tank.  The deer faired much worse. 

I was actually able to ride the bike home under its own power, with a little innovation and throwing my leg over a severely bent crash bar.  I will say, climbing back on the bike after that was very tough, and it took a moment before I was able to throw my leg over.  It was an interesting moment of pause.  But I climbed on, the trooper eased out giving me a window to get on and down the road, and Kirk followed me home.  About halfway I tunred the stereo back up, listened to a little Kid Rock, and enjoyed that last leg of the ride. 

I am very fortunate, very lucky, and was being watched over.  And I am just glad I am here to type up this email.  Things could have gone a lot worse.

From the Mail Bag......

 

 

 

I'm getting a number of requests for GROUP SUBMISSION FORMS! So, of course, I am re-running this again as promised since it's an effort to help you all. Thanks to everyone who sent in requests.

Yes, we have had a delay in getting forms out to you but they WILL get to you ... I promise! Everyone who has written in is on a list to receive as soon as that delay is cleared from "the road!"

Attention Riding Groups/Organizations!

Today I send a shout out to all of you who are part of riding groups, organizations, and clubs. It's time for you to show your stuff in THE CLUB ROOM which will be found under GROUP PAGES at TheCarolinaRider.com! We want to help you get the word out about who and what you are and all that you're doing in our Carolina communities.

Some of you are charitable organizations. Some social riding groups. Some of you band together for a cause. Some of you ride together for fun. Some groups are focused on specific towns, some on specific types of motorcycles. Some are loosely laid-back and some are very defined and formal. It's all cool........

The Carolina Rider CLUB ROOM

The Club Room offers space for motorcycle-related community groups to:

  1. List General information about their organization
  2. Provide membership and contact information for riders to explore involvement
  3. Share periodic reports, articles, stories, photos, and announcements for The Carolina Rider community to enjoy and connect

If you would like your organization represented in The Carolina Rider CLUB ROOM, email me for a GROUP SUBMISSION FORM today!

We are here for you. Help us help you.

 

Be safe. I know you hear it and you say it. Still, let's say it again: be safe out there ... and have fun while doing it!

"Go on now, squeeze out every drop of sweetness on your ride today!"
Fancy Free, Site Editor

I'm on Facebook ... "friend me!"

www.TheCarolinaRider.com

 

 

"Late Night in Daytona"

by Allen Winters


Me and my wife, Sharon, rode down to bike week in Daytona back in march, on our 07' Road Glide.
After a full day of beautiful Daytona weather, along with all of the day's activities under our belts; including an evening spent on main St., what better way to top it off than a late night stop at the subway?

When she came back out I snapped the photo just as she laid the sub on the seat. I thought the photo to be pretty neat when I noticed the ghost image of the vehicle, that appears just in front of the bike.
We enjoy riding together and take at least one or two motorcycle trips a year. This was our first daytona "bike week" trip together.

 

 

Maggie Valley

I had a great trip to Maggie Valley last week. A good friend and one of the Sponsors of The Carolina Rider, Jason E. Taylor, (be sure and see his ad!!) and I wanted to check out the "Thunder In The Smokies" rally because we had never been to that event and wanted to see how it was.

It's generally on the calendar the same weekend as Cherokee Rally but that longtime event was cancelled this year...

I hate it when the weather will not corporate. 40% chance of rain, then 60% chance of rain, then 75% chance of rain all day. We opted to go but decided to take the truck instead of riding. As you could have guessed very little rain fell and we were kicking ourselves about not riding. But just as sure as I sit here, had we ridden our bikes it would have rained non-stop the entire weekend. You know how that happens. So.... I guess Jason and I saved the rest of Maggie Valley from a torrential downpour by not riding!! (You're welcome, Maggie!)

As always Maggie Valley itself was great. It's truly a beautiful area. Everyone was friendly and as a bonus we ran into Tim, a Reader of The Carolina Rider from the Columbia area who was there with a group of riders headed up to Deals Gap. We were fortunate enough to have had enough time to grab a drink with Tim's group before we all headed in different directions. Now that's what riding's about....connecting with people in cool and different places....stopping for a drink and a chat then off to another adventure.

Looking forward to my next adventure and time on my bike. Next time no rain.....

 

 

 

 

As always,

Ride Safe and Keep The Shiney Side Up,
Jon

Jon "Footloose" Pendleton
Publisher, www.TheCarolinaRider.com

 

Harley-Davdison of Charlotte

 

CroftGate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SkyLine Inn

 

 

 

 

 

Motorcycle Maps

 

 

 

Mad Dog Custom Cycles

 

Ride Like A Pro

 

 

Cox H-D

 

 

 

 

Harley-Davdison of Charlotte

 

CroftGate

 

 

 

 

 

 

SkyLine Inn

 

 

 

 

 

Motorcycle Maps

 

 

 

Mad Dog Custom Cycles

 

Ride Like A Pro

 

 

Cox H-D

 

 

 

Contact us at jon@TheCarolinaRider.com - All Rights Reserved

The Carolina Rider Online Magazine

2879 Hwy 160 West, PMB 4100

Fort Mill, SC 29708

To unsubscribe/change profile:
click here